Date Range: June 1st - 10th
Days: Monday, June 1st & 8th + Wednesday, June 3rd & 10th
Time: 6PM-8PM ET / 3PM-5PM PT
Class will run with a minimum of 5 students. If course does not meet minimum student requirement, students will be refunded or allowed to switch to another Helium Academy class of equal value and experience.
Helium is excited to announce our new Stand-up 101 online intensive! Led by seasoned instructor and comedian Chip Chantry, you'll learn the foundations of stand-up comedy from your living room! In this course, we’ll teach you the basics of joke structure, developing your comedic voice, how to edit and punch up your material, as well as creating tags and using act-outs to maximize your routine. You’ll also receive insights on how to get started in your local comedy scene and the fundamentals of self-promotion!
Just because you’ve been ordered by the government to stay home doesn’t mean you can’t meet some new people, develop some new skills, and have some fun. Sign up today!
Our Stand-up 101 Intensive includes:
- Prerecorded class videos and writing assignments to allow you to work at your own pace
- Selected resources to analyze and review for additional guidance on the following topics:
- How to generate material: Where do jokes come from?
- Joke structure
- Writing exercises
- Analyzing delivery
- How to get started in the comedy scene
- Live online class sessions (via Zoom) for further explanation on topics and to provide immediate feedback on your material
- A private Google Classroom for additional resources provided by the instructor and a platform to work with your classmates outside of our class sessions
- Future performance opportunities at Helium Comedy Club in our Academy showcase
How will this work? This class will be hosted through a Zoom Webinar. All instructions on how to access Zoom, the webinar, and class materials will be emailed to students prior to the session. Want to get ahead of the game? CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD ZOOM
Chip Chantry is a television writer and stand-up comedian. He has written for the first season of "Crazy Talk," a comedy/talk series for NBC Universal and the syndicated series "Whacked Out Sports." He was the winner of 2013’s Philly’s Phunniest Contest at Helium Comedy Club, where he is a regular performer. Chip also won the “Funniest Comedian” award in Philadelphia’s annual Comedy Awards in both 2012 and 2014. Chip has opened for national headliners such as Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, Bob Saget, and Todd Glass. In 2012, he released his first live comedy album "Across from the Adonis." He also wrote and produced the monthly late-night-style talk show, "Good Evening w/ Chip Chantry," at Helium Comedy Club and the monthly comedy-variety program, "Chip Chantry's One-Man Show (w/ special guests!)," at the Philly Improv Theater.